the Trial Report gives this witness's name as "Ann Sandeswell" there
is no such surname recorded in Lowestoft during the 17th century and we have
been able to reliably identify her from other sources as Ann Landefielde,
a very common surname in the town during this period).
was the daughter, the second of four children, of a Lowestoft Brewer named
Francis Ewen. She was baptised at Lowestoft in February 1616 and was 46
years old when she gave evidence at the trial. Her father and mother
appear to have settled in the town not long before her birth for there is no
record of them here prior to 1614 when they purchased a house here.
The family home
and brewery was situated on the western edge of town in Old White Horse
Lane. However her father also leased a barn in Blue Anchor Lane. The barn
was situated in the yard of the house in which Rose Cullender and her family
lived during the 1620's and 30's.
||LEFT: Old White Horse Lane in the early 20th
century. Ewen's brewery and Ann's birthplace were located in the
distance on the left hand side. All of this area was
demolished during "redevelopment in the late 1960's.
Ann's mother died
in 1620 and her father and soon after married again to Ann Arnold the widow of
Matthew Arnold. In 1640, Matthew, a son from her first marriage married Margaret
Pacy, the sister of Samuel Pacy who both
gave evidence at the trial. That same year at the age of 24 Ann married 30
years old Cornelius Landefielde a Lowestoft mariner. The Landefieldes were
a long-established seafaring family who had lived in the town for a number of
generations. Cornelius had a younger brother Simon who also married in
1640. His bride was Mary Pacy the cousin of Samuel Pacy. Thus,
through marriage, the Landefielde's were closely related to the the Pacys.
marriage Ann and Cornelius Landefielde lived in a house at the foot of the cliff
at the extreme southern end of the town. Six children were born here and
in 1651 Cornelius purchased a plot of land at the top of the cliff adjoining his
house and there erected another house which was divided into two tenements. The
northern tenement was leased to Amy Denny and it is probable that it is the
"lately built" unsafe chimney of this house about which she spoke to
Cornelius about shortly before it collapsed!
|RIGHT: The Landefielde house together with their
tenement in which Amy Denny lived were demolished in the 18th century
when a nearby gun battery was extended. The children in this 19th
century photograph are standing on the ground once owned by Cornelius
Landefielde. His house was to the right of the photograph that of
Amy Denny was to the left.
Landefielde died at Lowestoft in 1684 and is described in the parish register as
"an ancient woman". Cornelius lived for another five years and
died in 1689 he too is described as "ancient". Both are buried
beneath the green sward of St, Margaret's church, Lowestoft but the location of
their graves is not known.
is interesting to note that although Ann and Cornelius Landefielde made
damning accusations against Amy Denny at the trial neither of their names appear
on any indictments and it is difficult to understand why such a
"learned" judge as Matthew Hale permitted such evidence which was not
pertinent to any formal accusation!